Does it feel like everyone you know is trying (or at least talking about trying) natural deo? Well, to start with, people are starting to be more mindful about how their actions affect the environment and their health. And this even comes down to what we buy for our bathroom cabinet. We don’t want to see a load of harsh chemicals staring back at us, which is why people are making the switch to natural deodorants.
What’s in regular deodorants?
You might have seen us talk about the suspect ingredients that go into chemical deodorants in a previous blog. Antiperspirants are loaded with aluminium to block up sweat glands and minimise perspiration. You might think this sounds magical, but some people believe that this aluminium can lead to imbalances in the body resulting in health problems like Alzheimer’s or breast cancer. Although before you have a complete meltdown over your historic deodorant use, a lot more research needs to be done to see if that’s true.
The same goes for deodorants that contain parabens. Parabens are in a ton of cosmetic products, such as lipsticks, moisturisers and suncreams because they act as preservatives. However, some studies have shown that parabens can contribute to similar health problems to that of aluminium, although beauty safety authorities still haven’t found them to be a problem. Meanwhile, many other “standard” deodorants use alcohol to prevent armpit odour, which can irritate the skin and dry it out.
So is my deodorant killing me?
While all of this sounds a bit scary (à la Mel B), lots more research needs to be undertaken to discover the extent to which these deodorants are affecting our health. But in the meantime, there’s no harm in using something more natural like our deodorant balms. Plus, we think there's a good chance you'll fall in love with our carefully crafted luxury scents, nourishing formula, and gorgeous packaging (humble, we know).
Why do people use natural deodorants?
Natural deodorant, the stuff made without parabens, aluminium or any other toxins, has been a big deal since Egyptian times. It was an easy way to mask the smell in a time before man-made products. The Egyptians were known to place perfumed wax on their heads that would melt and give off a nice smell. It wasn’t just them, the Romans enjoyed bathing in essential oils and the 17th century French aristocracy went so far as to install scented fountains at dinner parties. Still to this day, people want to find natural ways to cover bad body odour and smell fresh. And we’ve done it by making the best natural antiperspirant UK wide.
What are the benefits of natural deodorant?
For starters, you can easily put your mind at rest knowing that natural deodorants are free of nasties (yay!). But there are also a load of other benefits that come with using natural deodorant.
- Natural deodorants are kind to your skin Because there are no seriously harsh chemicals in natural deodorants, they’re really good for sensitive skin. Oils and powders are often derived from plant-based ingredients, which are naturally healing and soothe sensitive skin. For example, vitamin E is an antioxidant that protects and repairs the skin and coconut oil contains fatty acids that help heal and soothe inflamed skin.
- It stops the yellow stains on your clothes There’s nothing worse than buying an expensive white tee, only for it to be ruined in a couple of weeks by your deodorant. The yellow from your deodorant comes from when your sweat mixes with the aluminum in antiperspirant. Make the switch to natural deodorant and say goodbye to those embarrassing underarm stains.
- Natural deodorants work with your body, not against it Instead of using aluminum chlorohydrate and aluminum zirconium to block your pores, aluminium-free deodorants are full of natural ingredients like calendula oil, which has antifungal, anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties, and shea butter, which moisturises and soothes. These essential oils, powders and lotions neutralise bad-smelling bacteria and help absorb excess wetness. Plus, natural deodorants keep good bacteria working, which means less odour even when you’re not wearing any deodorant.
We can talk all day about the pros of natural deodorant (seriously... all dayyyyy), but it really comes down to your personal choice. If you want to be kind to yourself and the planet, it might be a good idea to switch things up. Plus, we really try to honour the environment in every way possible:
- All our products are plastic free
- Our deodorants last for 2 months (or more!), which means less waste
- All of our packing is 100% recyclable - from the box it comes in (no tape!) and the tubes themselves
- Our products are completely vegan and cruelty-free
We’re on to something big here and we want you to be a part of it. Check out our natural deodorant UK selection to find out more.
Shop Akt The Natural Deodorant Balm